Trinity Cathedral has a remarkable history, but Trinity’s congregation is even more historic. In fact, Trinity is the oldest Christian congregation in the city of Cleveland. Founded in 1816 at the home of Phineas Shepherd, the parish grew to the point where it built its first church in 1829, the first church within the Cleveland village limits. Trinity later moved to a new home in 1855 near Public Square.
Late in the 1800’s Trinity became the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio and relocated to its present address. Under the leadership of Bishop William Leonard, a new Gothic cathedral was conceived, and prominent Cleveland architect Charles Schweinfurth was selected to plan and build it.
Designed in the spirit of Gothic cathedrals in England and elsewhere in Europe, Trinity Cathedral was built as a neo-Gothic perpendicular structure. The cathedral was consecrated on September 24, 1907.
Eleven bishops have led the diocese and there have been 12 deans of the cathedral. In 2002, Trinity Commons was built containing meeting and program space for nonprofit, corporate and community groups throughout greater Cleveland. The cathedral is now on the National Register of Historic Places.